What is Dysport?
Dysport is a type of muscle-relaxing medication that contains botulinum toxin type A as its active ingredient. This potent neurotoxin is extracted and purified from fermented Clostridium botulinum bacteria before being purified extensively to be free from any offending impurities. Dysport can be purchased with either 300 or 500 units. Before administering into problematic areas, the white powder must be dissolved in an appropriate amount of sterile sodium chloride solution. The resulting solution should appear colourless and transparent, free from any suspended particles or particulate sedimentation. The prepared toxin solution must be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Any unopened vials must also be stored in the refrigerator where the temperature ranges between 2℃ to 8℃, away from freezing conditions, until it is ready to be used.
What are the indications for treatment using Dysport?
This brand of neurotoxin is renowned for its efficacy in treating a wide variety of medical conditions such as:
- Muscle spasms (focal spasticity) in the upper and/or lower limbs;
- Lower limb spasticity in paediatric patients;
- Cervical dystonia;
- Glabellar lines associated with the corrugator and procerus muscle.
Doctors also use this neuromodulator to treat excessive sweating and facial spasms.
How long does it take for Dysport to work?
With modern advancement in the medical industry, this toxin has been found to successfully relax painfully contracting muscles. Dysport is effective in the treatment of medical disorders relating to muscle contractions, as it prevents the release of neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, necessary for muscle movements. With the absence of this neurotransmitter, muscle spasms are temporarily curbed. The time taken for Dysport to start working depends on the different health disorders it is indicated for and may also vary by individual.
- Muscle spasms in the upper and/or lower limbs: 1 week following the treatment session.
- Cervical dystonia: 1 week following the treatment session.
- Hemifacial spasm: 2 to 4 days following the treatment session with the maximum effect peaking around 2-week mark.
- Blepharospasm: 2 to 4 days following the treatment session with the maximum effect peaking around the 2-week mark.
- Hyperhidrosis of the axillae: 2 weeks following the treatment session.