What is Juvederm?
Juvederm is a brand of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers manufactured by Allergan. The Juvederm fillers can be categorised into 2 collections—Vycross™ and Ultra—which are differentiated by the type of technologies used to manufacture them. Vycross Technology is used to produce fillers with a combination of low molecular weight and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. The resulting fillers are very cohesive and easily mould to correct numerous skin concerns for a natural appearance. There are also fewer incidences of post-injection swelling.
The fillers in this collection are:
- Volite with Lidocaine
- Volbella with Lidocaine
- Volift with Lidocaine (also known as Volift Retouch)
- Voluma with Lidocaine
The Ultra collection is manufactured using Hyalacross™ Technology, which creates a gel with an ultra-smooth consistency.
The dermal fillers in this line are:
- Ultra Smile
- Ultra 2 (also known as Ultra XC)
- Ultra 3 (also known as Ultra Plus XC)
- Ultra 4
Ultra fillers are also integrated with lidocaine for more comfort during procedure. Patients looking for a treatment to revitalise exhausted and dehydrated skin can choose the Hydrate injectable. It is a biorejuvenating solution ideal for mesotherapy.
What is Juvederm used for?
These soft tissue fillers are indicated for correcting a variety of facial concerns. Medical practitioners should choose the appropriate filler based on the concentration of hyaluronic acid and degree of altering needed:
- Correcting fine lines like crow’s feet and skin inelasticity: use Juvederm Volbella or Volite.
- Augmenting lip shape and size: use Juvederm Volbella or Ultra Smile.
- Correcting moderate to deep-set lines like nasolabial folds: use Juvederm Volift, Ultra 2, or Ultra 3.
- Correcting hollowed out regions like cheeks and temples: use Juvederm Voluma or Ultra 4.
- Replenishing overall skin hydration and elasticity: use Juvederm Hydrate.
How to inject Juvederm
Injection depths and methods are dependent on the type of filler used and degree of skin condition severity:
- Volite with Lidocaine: inject into the dermis.
- Volbella with Lidocaine: inject into the superficial or mid-dermal layer. You may also inject into lip mucosa.
- Volift with Lidocaine: inject into the deep dermal layer.
- Voluma with Lidocaine: inject into the deep dermis or subcutaneous layer.
- Ultra Smile: inject into the mucosal or dermal layer of the lip.
- Ultra 2: inject into the mid-dermal layer.
- Ultra 3: inject into the mid to deep dermal layer.
- Ultra 4: inject into the deep dermal layer.
- Hydrate: inject into the superficial dermal layer.
Patients may exhibit some reactions following injections such as:
- Mild pain
- Infection, rare
- Allergic reactions, rare
Patients should recover from common reactions within a week. Patients should seek immediate treatment from the nearest hospital if they develop serious reactions.