What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a type of naturally occurring molecule that is found abundantly in the human body. It is vital for maintaining the hydration status and lubrication in various bodily structures such as the skin, joints, and eyes. Due to its impressive hygroscopic property—one gram of hyaluronic acid can retain up to 6 litres of water—it is now a permanent fixture in innumerable cosmetic, skincare, and aesthetic medical products.
What are the benefits of hyaluronic acid for eyes?
Besides applying it on the face to moisturise the skin, HA can also be used in and around the periorbital area for a rejuvenated appearance.
- Dermal Fillers: A lot of patients develop small wrinkles—also known as crow’s feet—around the eyes. Though these lines are sometimes considered attractive, some patients may still be bothered by the wrinkles. Patients can easily correct these wrinkles erased using hyaluronic acid-based fillers. These fillers are usually manufactured from non-animal source of HA and processed to be viscoelastic. Once injected into the wrinkly area, the gel instantly smooths the skin for a wrinkle-free periorbital area. Some brands of excellent filler that can correct the wrinkled area around the eyes are Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero.
- Eye Cream: Since the area around the eye is very fragile, patients are at risk of developing various signs of ageing such as darkness, fine lines, and puffiness. Patients are strongly urged to adopt a suitable skincare regimen that incorporates the diligent usage of eye creams in order to repair or prevent the skin damage. Eye creams that are enriched with HA ensures that the periorbital area stays hydrated and resists damages.
- Eye Lubrication: Besides aesthetic purposes, HA also has its medical purposes. Its ultra-hydrating property makes hyaluronic acid a potent ingredient in moisturising eye drops. Since HA is also present in natural tears, it is often used in artificial tears to alleviate the symptoms of dry eyes such as burning or a scratchy sensation in the eyes.
- Treatment for Conjunctivitis: Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the conjunctiva and is caused by microorganisms or irritants. Patients are encouraged to regularly wash their inflamed eyes with an eye wash containing hyaluronic acid to significantly decrease the severity of the condition.
- Treatment for Eye Floaters: Eye floaters happen when the jelly-like substance in the eye (vitreous humour) break down and casts shadows on the retina. This benign phenomenon can be managed using hyaluronic acid eye drops.