What are upper lip wrinkles?
Upper lip wrinkles—also known are perioral lines or smoker’s lines—are the tiny vertical lines that emerge around the lip border. This cosmetic imperfection occurs due to ageing as the skin loses it elasticity and firmness. The severity of upper lip wrinkles is also exacerbated when extrinsic ageing factors such as excessive UV exposure, pollution, and smoking contribute skin-damaging free radicals. Besides that, repetitive movements such as puckering up of the lips while smoking cause these creases to develop.
What are the methods to get rid of upper lip wrinkles?
Patients can end up looking older than their chronological age or have problems with applying makeup (bleeding lipstick lines) if the upper lip wrinkles are not treated. Fortunately, pesky upper lip wrinkles can be effectively corrected using some of the treatment methods detailed below.
- Healthy lifestyle: Patients who develop upper lip wrinkles due to their smoking habit are strongly encouraged to stop smoking. Not only will this stop the repetitive movements of the mouth, it also reduces skin damage that is caused by dangerous free radicals present in cigarette.
- Skincare products: Patients are encouraged to follow a skincare routine that is best suited to their skin types. Some effective ingredients that should be present in the products include retinol, vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). These components help to slough off dead skin cells to make way for newer and healthier cells. With diligent use, the fine lines may be erased, leaving behind flawless and radiant face. An examples of an excellent face cream is Zo Ossential Growth Factor Serum Plus. This anti-ageing serum contains retinol, plant stem cells, and peptides that can effectively shrink the appearance of expression lines.
- Aesthetic procedures: While skincare products address the root cause of facial lines, they require some time to deliver the aesthetic improvements. Patients who prefer fast results can instead undergo aesthetic procedures like microdermabrasion, chemical peel, and laser therapy instead. These treatment methods help to remove the dead and damaged outer layer of the skin; and encourage synthesis of healthier dermal cells. The new skin is usually smoother and healthier-looking.
- Dermal fillers: Patients can also get their upper lip wrinkles erased by getting dermal filler injections. These injectable implants come in various forms (e.g. hyaluronic acid, collagen, etc.); and will instantly plump and smoothen wrinkly skin after injection session. Some excellent hyaluronic acid-based fillers that can get rid of upper lip wrinkles include Belotero Balance, Teosyal Kiss, and Stylage Special Lips.
- Botulinum toxin injections: Botulinum toxin is a potent muscle-relaxing medicine that is used for treating various disorders associated with abnormal muscle contractions such as blepharospasm and cervical dystonia. It can also be used for erasing upper lip dynamic wrinkles that are caused by muscle contractions. Once injected, the underlying muscle is temporarily paralysed, and upper lip lines are softened.