SHARE THIS ARTICLE
May 28, 2018
What is Botox?
Botox is utilised medicinally to treat certain several medical and aesthetic conditions, including chronic migraines or glabellar lines.
What is Xeomin?
Similarities and Differences Between Xeomin Vs. Botox
- Ingredients: Each toxin contains botulinum toxin type A, which temporarily blocks nerve signals to reduce muscle movement for dynamic wrinkles and muscle-related medical disorders.
- Duration: Several studies were carried out to determine the time period of the duration of results. In those respective findings, it was found that the longevity of these 2 toxins’ effects is 3 to 6 months.
- Presentation: Both toxins are sold in the form of a powder that must be reconstituted prior to injection.
- Side effects: These toxins can product similar side effects, including inflammatory responses to the injection, muscle stiffness, and headaches.
- Units of measurement: These toxins are measured in units specific to their respective manufacturers and are not interchangeable.
- Additives: Botox contains the excipients human albumin and sodium chloride. Xeomin, on the other hand, does not contain any additives.
- Onset: The onset period of Xeomin is slightly slower than its competitor. It can take up to 4 days for the patient to start noticing relief of symptoms, whereas Botox can take 3 days. The full results of either toxin may take longer than the initial onset period.
- Price: Although the price of the 2 toxins is similar, Xeomin is slightly more expensive. On average, Botox treatments cost around $300, whereas Xeomin costs an average of $275.
Both toxins are popularly used worldwide to treat a number of conditions. This may include crow’s feet, forehead lines, glabellar lines, chronic migraines, cervical dystonia, upper and lower limb spasticity, and bladder incontinence. Over the years, both toxins have also been successfully used for off-label treatments, such as excessive underarm sweating and hair growth for those with thinning hair. Patients should be aware of the price of both treatments, as well as the side effects and contraindications, in order to make an informed decision.