SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Jun 11, 2018
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a brand of non-animal stabilised hyaluronic acid (NASHA) injectable fillers designed by Q-Med, which is a subsidiary of Galderma. The fillers are made of hyaluronic acid molecules that are sourced from bacterial cultures left to ferment under strict aseptic standards. The non-animal hyaluronic acid molecules are extracted and purified thoroughly to be free from any bacterial endotoxins and impurities. These molecules are then cross-linked with each other using the chemical reticulating agent 1,4-butanedioldiglycidyl ether (BDDE). Optimal Balance Technology (OBT) is also used to produce injectable biphasic gel of varying texture and concentration of hyaluronic acid.
What are the indications for treatment using Restylane?
Restylane comes in various concentrations and particle sizes of hyaluronic acid, so as to address a wide range of dermal imperfections. Currently, there are a total of 6 collections of soft tissue fillers under this brand:
- Skinboosters: This range of fillers is made of homogenous NASHA gel and is used to treat young skin affected by early signs of ageing, such as dehydration and dullness.
- Lyps: As the name suggests, this NASHA-based filler is designed specifically to augment the shape and size of lips for a luscious pout.
- Lyft: This set of aesthetic implants is made of NASHA with a large particle size, making it perfect for treating deep-set wrinkles and restoring volume to sunken facial areas.
- SubQ: This collection of soft tissue implants is made of NASHA with the largest particle size. The fillers are indicated to restore volume in facial areas that are affected by fat loss.
- Emervel: This collection of fillers has varying degrees of gel textures, as the implants are processed using OBT. Emervel’s range can be used to correct various dermal imperfections such as filling in superficial lines to restoring volume in sunken areas.
How long does Restylane injection last under the eyes?
The skin around the eyes is exceptionally thin and prone to various premature ageing signs such as fine lines, puffiness, and darkness. Nevertheless, these ageing signs can be seamlessly corrected using Restylane fillers. Following intradermal injection of the filler in the problematic tear trough area, the implant will deliver natural-looking results that could last up to a year. This long residence time is due to minimal movement in that treated area. However, this stipulated duration of action varies depending on the patient’s age, skin condition, health status, and lifestyle behaviour.